Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 11: Poop Shelves!

The title of this post may sound weird to you, but I assure you it is not. One of the greatest things in life, though not as good as mac and cheese, World Press Photo and Greek, poop shelves essentially define Soviet-era plumbing. I haven't seen once since my Kolej Komenskeho days, when I lived in a prison in Praha. Basically, there is a shelf in the toilet. You can probably guess what goes on it.
Anyway, I was delighted to see that our hostel here in East Berlin (to quote the Aussie from Amsterdam making fun of me for calling it that: "East Berlin? You know the Cold War is over, right?") is fully equipped with them. Tor is still asleep, but I'm sure she is going to read this and ask me what the hell I was thinking when I wrote it.

So let's see. It appears to be bright and sunny here in Berlin, hopefully it will stay that way for the rest of the day. We're going on a free tour (from the same company who gave us a tour in Amsterdam) in a few hours, then probably wandering around the city afterward. Yesterday we walked past Checkpoint Charlie; after our tour today, I can tell you what Checkpoint Charlie is.

We're leaving for Munich this evening, where my friend Johannes will be meeting us at the train station and (because he is probably the nicest guy ever) letting us crash at his flat until Wednesday. We're going to his hometown, Eichstaett, on Sunday, because it is celebrating its 1100th birthday.

Next time you all read this: we will be in Munich!!!


Love and poop shelves,
Melissa

ps. Tim Russert dying broke my heart
pps. LOOK AT ALL THE COOL STUFF I CAN DO ON GERMAN KEYBOARDS Äöߧµ€. Also, the keyboards switch the Y and the Z. AWKWARDDDDD

No comments: