Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 8: Still avoiding Bananen Bar...thank God

Helllllllllo from rainy Amsterdam.

Today is our first day of less-than-stellar weather in this awesome, incredible, mind-blowing city. Tor agrees with me that Amsterdam has been the best city we've been to so far.
I wish I could remember everything we've done over the past two days, but its been so nuts that I'm definitely going to forget things.
We took a free three-hour tour of the city two days ago and saw EVERYTHING - Red Light District, Jewish neighborhood, the smallest house in Amsterdam, the oldest one, the Homomonument (it is exactly what it sounds like, nothing "lost in translation," in Tori's words). Then after the tour, we went to the Anne Frank house. It wasn't what I was expecting; but then again, I'm not entirely sure what I WAS expecting. The diary itself wasn't on display because they were in the process of adjusting the lights so nothing would be damaged. Additionally, the outside was covered in scaffolding. But the feeling I got there was similar to the one I got when I visited Auschwitz last year. I don't know about the Anne Frank house. You should all go. I'm sure I'll be back.
Speaking of coming back, TOR AND I WANT TO LIVE HERE. This is the most livable city we've been do, helped in part by the fact that everyone has been so damn nice to us.
OH, we met up with Tori's friends Donny and Asaf, who are here for the week. They're awesome, and I'm bummed I didn't come back home early to meet them sooner, when they were in Woodstock.
The first night we all hung out, we walked around the Red Light District. We tried soliciting a prostitute. Well, we tried soliciting a television set in a prostitute's room. We just wanted to watch tv for a few in one of the rooms, but the hos weren't having any of it. We offered to pay and everything!
Yesterday, the four of us met up for lunch and then went to the World Press Photo exhibition. World Press Photo is pretty much the best thing in the world. I personally place it above mac and cheese and Greek, just so you get an idea of how serious my love for it is. I saw it for the first time in Prague, and haven't seen it since. Its basically a collection of the best photographs taken during the previous year-mostly war photos and sad, depressing shots. BUT ITS AWESOME.
OH, I almost forgot, before Tor reminded me. Last night we all went to see a live sex show in the Red Light District. I, personally, was most stunned by the woman who smoked a cigar out of a place I didn't think it possible. But, as I've learned in Amsterdam, nothing is impossible. Even that.
Tonight, we're catching a night bus to Berlin, where we'll spend a couple days before booking it to our last stop, Munich. So until then, bye (I would say it in Dutch, but this language is so damn confusing)!

Love and Euro soccer (even though the Czechs lost yesteday),
Melissa

1 comment:

Lauren Effron said...

you know... i did notice you didn't discuss all the pot smoking that had to have gone on haha